Monday, April 14, 2014

Why is it Wrong to be an Only Child?

Nic and I had a wonderful weekend. For the most part.

Saturday night proved challenging though - for both of us. I had a feeling it would, as it was the last fundraiser event for high school. My last time attending, and Nic's first and only - thank goodness!

People behave so poorly at these events, and I had really hoped he wouldn't have to experience some of what goes on at those things. But, in retrospect, he needed to see and know and all these things make him stronger, and he is an adult after all!

Nic is an only child. I am a single mother. Neither of these things is "bad" and we are both sick of people telling us how sorry they are to hear that or that it's "too bad." Why is there such a stigma with these so called "Catholic" families around only having one child? Apparently it is amazing that he is graduating, let alone at the top of his class and preparing to attend Creighton University this fall on academic scholarship.

I have a great job and supportive family. I am not, and never have been on food stamps or welfare, and above all I am happy, and faithful with God in my heart. I truely know that Nic and I have a clearer understating of the Catholic faith than most, and we live in harmony with it given our "unusual" circumstances. I want to be clear here as well - none of our priests, sisters or brothers have ever treated us in the manner that many families have. I think this is why it's important to understand that this post in no way criticizes my religion - I only wish to point out that people can be cruel in the name of that religion, and that is quite the opposit of what we are taught at Christians.

I am venting, and this was not the original intention of this blog....so I will move on now to some facts I have acquired over the years about the only child (as many of you know, I am also am only...) as well as some facts about some amazing men raised by single mothers:

Most only children:

1. Love to share - toys, food, you name it, we love to share it!

2. See friends as family, and are extremely loyal - forever, no matter what.

3. Have parents that depend on them greatly, and they take on a lot of responsibility from an early age.

4. Are high achievers and often very successful.

5. Are ok with being alone - in fact we quite like it and don't need to depend on others to fill our time or constantly make us happy.

Many men raised by single mothers:

1. Know how to change a lightbulb, fix a broken toilet, change out locks and use tools - Nic is great at all of these things.

2. Communicate well with women and are good listeners.

3. Treat their wives, daughters and female coworkers with tremendous respect.

4. Tend to be clean and tidy.

5. Understand the value of money and are responsible with it from an early age.

Lastly, here are some fun examples of successful men raised by single moms:

No matter how you feel about him - President Obama is pretty successful!

George Washington

Bill Clinton

Usher

Matt Damon

Ryan Gosling

Michael Phelps

Orlando Bloom

LL Cool J

Clive Owen

Both lists could go on and on really. Incidentally, many of the people on last list are also only children. Hmmmm.

My main point is, people have ups and owns - with or without siblings, and whether or not they are in a single parent family. I just wish we could all support each other as good, faithful people instead of letting the ugliness of judgement and fear rule the way we treat others.

No comments:

Post a Comment